Syllabus/curriculum of Physics course-class XII designed by NEB.
[Mark scheme: 9 marks⇒LAQ-1/2, SAQ- 1/2, NP- 1/1]
1. Nature and Propagation of Light [6 Teaching hours]⇒ Nature and sources of light, electromagnetic spectrum, Huygen’s principle, reflection and refraction according to wave theory, velocity of light: Foucault’s method; Michelson’s method.
2. Interference [4 TH] ⇒ Phenomenon of interferences, coherent sources, Young’s double slit experiment; Newton’s ring.
3. Diffraction [4 TH] ⇒ Diffraction from a single slit, diffraction pattern of image, diffraction grating, resolving power of optical instruments.
4. Polarization [ 3 TH] ⇒ Phenomenon of polarization, Brewster’s law, transverse nature of light, polaroid.
[Mark scheme: 28 marks⇒LAQ-3/4, SAQ- 4/5, NP- 2/3]
1. Electrons & Photons [10 teaching hours]
a. Electrons ⇒ Millikan’s oil drop experiment, gaseous discharge at various pressure, motion of electron beam in electric and magnetic fields, Thomson’s experiment to determine the specific charge of an electron.
b. Photons ⇒ Quantum nature of radiation, Einstein’s photoelectric equation, stopping potential, measurement of planck’s constant, Milikan’s experiment.
3. Solids and semiconductor devices [11 TH] ⇒ Structure of solids, energy bands in solids, difference between metals, insulators and semi conductors using band theory, Intrinsic and extrinsic semi-conductors, P-N junction, semiconductor diode, characteristics in forward and reverse bias, Full wave rectification, filter circuit, Zener diode, Transistor, common emitter characteristics, logic gates, NOT, OR, AND, NAND and NOR, nanotechnology.
4. Quantization of energy [9 TH]⇒ Bohr’s theory of hydrogen atom, spectral series, excitation and ionization potentials, energy level, emission and absorption spectra, De-broglie theory, Duality, Uncertainty principle, LASERs: He-Ne laser, nature and propagation, properties and uses, X-rays, nature and production; uses, X-ray diffraction, Bragg’s law.
5. Nuclear Physics [6 TH]⇒ Nucleus, discovery of nucleus, nuclear density, mass number, atomic number, atomic mass, isotopes, Einstein’s mass energy relation, mass defect, binding energy, fusion and fission.
6. Radioactivity [7 TH]⇒ Alpha particles, beta- particles, gamma rays, laws of radioactive disintegration, half life and decay constant, Geiger Muller tube [G.M. counter], radio carbon dating, medical use of nuclear radiation, health hazards and safety precautions.
7. Nuclear energy and other sources of energy [9 TH]⇒ Sources of energy, conservation and degradation of energy, transformation of energy, energy released from fission and fusion, thermal and hydroelectric power, wind energy, biofuels, solar energy, solar constant, solar devices, global energy consumption pattern and demands, energy use in Nepal, Fuels and pollution, global warming, acid rain.
8. Particle physics and cosmology [3 TH]⇒ Particles and antiparticles, quarks and leptons, baryons, mesons, Universe- Hubble law, Big- Bang, Critical density, Dark matter.